Hierarchical Democracy, Agni Yoga and the Plan
Agni Yoga, the Practice of the Presence
Three preliminary steps for which the practice of alignment should have prepared the student of the higher mysteries. These steps must precede all effort to develop the intuition, and this may take several months (or even years) of careful preparation. Fire is the symbol of the mind and these are the first three stages of the Agni Yoga discipline, or of the yoga of fire, for which Raja Yoga has prepared the student.
- Profound attentiveness, the evocation of the stage of spiritual “tension.” It is a tension brought about by complete control of the personal self so that it is “fitted for contact with the real,” like the tension of a taut string attuned to a musical note ready to resonate at a certain frequency.
- Adaptability of the Soul-infused Personality. The Personality becomes pliably receptive to the life of the Soul, achieving a state of fusion with the Soul, or solar Angel, as it eliminates the “points of frictions.”
- Serene expectancy. The holding of the mind steady in the light of the Soul, which remains the attitude of the lower self for the entire remaining period of work, held at the point of tension by the Soul and not by an effort of the personality. The Soul undertakes this holding when the personal self has done its utmost to achieve the desired tension.
Next stages in the Technique. These must be thoroughly understood and form the basis of prolonged brooding and intelligent reflection, carried on whilst the daily avocations and duties are being performed and not carried out at certain set times. The trained intuitive or disciple lives ever the dual life of mundane activity and of intense and simultaneous spiritual reflection. This is a suggestive formula for a more advanced meditation attitude, not a meditation form.
- The (Monadic) Presence. Keep a definite and sustained effort to sense the (Monadic) Presence throughout the universe in all forms and in all presentations of truth. This could be expressed in the words: “the effort to isolate the germ or seed of divinity which has brought all forms into being”. This effort is primarily to see in the light which the solar Angel radiates the point of light behind all phenomenal appearances.
- Intuiting the Purpose. Having sensed the (Monadic) Presence – not theoretically but in vibrating response to its Existence – next comes the stage of the ascertaining of the Purpose, the effort to achieve an understanding of that which through the medium of form is seeking to embody the high purpose at any specific point in the evolutionary cycle.
- The triple light of the intuition. To carry some world problem, some design which has evolved in the mind or the heart of the disciple for the helping of Humanity, into what is esoterically called “the triple light of the intuition.” This light is formed by the blending of the light of the personal self, focused in the mind, the light of the Soul, focused in the solar Angel, and the universal light which the Presence emits.
- The interludes. After relinquishing of the Higher (Monadic) Way and returning to the solar Angel (refocusing in the Soul),
- a pause or interlude for constructive thinking, under the influence of the solar Angel;
the turning of the mind to the formulation of those forms of thought which must embody the revelation; and
then again, a pause which is called “the pause preceding presentation.”
- Fiery ordeal. The presentation of the revelation of the imparted truth and its precipitation as a formulation of the lower concrete mind is achieved. It is a GROUP revelation. The group is needed to protect the individuals from “some of the fire within that which is revealed” as it “wings its way back to the source from whence it came; some of it serves to destroy the revealer, and some to burn those who recognize the revelation.” This phase of Agni Yoga may only be INDIVIDUALLY practiced by those group-conscious initiates who can penetrate beyond the solar Angel into the place “where fire dwelleth,” and where God, the Presence, functions as a consuming fire and waits for the hour of total revelation.
- Final Stages of Precipitation (see Rules on White Magic)
[Adapted by JB from the Technique of the Presence (Glamour: A World Problem) by Alice A. Bailey.]